Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mark's "Back In The USSR" Music Video

What happens when Mark records his own arrangement of a Beatles classic, and then illustrates it on the fly while the song is playing?
Watch the video on YouTube.
When we decided to release the full length video of my cover of The Beatles' "Back In The USSR," I had an idea: this song is so visually rich, I wonder if I couldsketch out what occurs to me as each element is introduced.

I found NCH Software's free WavePad and VideoPad applications online. With WavePad, I slowed the song down to 1/4 speed, giving me enough time to doodle something reasonably well as the song played. I listened to the slowed down song on my mp3 player while I sketched madly for a little over 10 minutes! I did a test run with the web cam on my laptop, just to see if the concept worked. It did, but I was really challenged to draw everything in that short time span!

To get a better video, I set up my easel with a sheet of newsprint and put my camera on the tripod looking over my shoulder. I pressed the record button, fired off the mp3 in my ear buds, and started drawing. Wow! It went so fast! When I was done, I checked the camera. It had shut off. My Chinese batteries from Xinjiang 新疆 failed utterly!

I put in new batteries and did the whole thing again, all in one shot. My elbow bumped the tripod a few times, but it came out pretty clearly. Rather than trying to get it perfect, we left it as is.

Sure was fun to do! I'm thinking there might be more applications for this process in other things--such as the "Self-evolving Portraits" which really do evolve from random marks on the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment