Monday, August 27, 2012

A Man Without Wheels

I know all the reasons why I (Mark) don't drive. They're all practical. I could go on and on about being green, saving money, how hard it is to find parking, where would we even store a bicycle, etc., etc.

Blah, blah, blah... None of this can take away my feeling of loss. Why does being in command of a set of wheels mean so much to me? I thought it might be just the All-American Gotta-Have-A-Car thing,
but it's not. It seems to have more to do with wheels of any sort--not just a car.

I drooled over the motorcycles in Xinjiang, China. Even way out in the mountains, the locals ride the "iron horse" as much as the real horse. I found myself salivating over the sleek little mounts.

Here in Taiwan, the "iron horse" is more of a "plastic donkey." Thousands upon thousands of scooters line the sidewalks and whiz down the streets. (Ping's nephew, YuChi, calls them "flies." That's an even better description.) Still, maybe I could talk myself into getting one of those if it meant having wheels.

I hear my inner whiner saying: "Man, everyone has wheels! Even middle-aged grandmothers have scooters! The little kid down the street has a folding bike. How come I don't have one??"

Then I go back and remind myself of all the practical reasons why I don't own a car, or a motorcycle, or a bicycle. It doesn't help.

Where's my problem? We have the bus, right? We have the MRT. People generously offer rides when we're going to the same place. I have my own two feet, and I love walking. What's so different about wheels?

There are two things, for me. One is that I just love driving. I have driven thousands and thousands of miles behind the wheel, and ridden tens of thousands of miles as a motorcycle pilot. It's fun. It's a challenge sometimes. I miss it.

But there's something much deeper. It's about freedom and self-determination. It's about wandering wherever your fancy takes you and stopping when and where you want to stop. You don't have to see if the bus goes there; you just go. If you change your mind and want to go somewhere else, you head there instead.

When I sit in the driver's seat and turn the key, all that horsepower is just waiting to take me somewhere. I get to tell it when and where to go. If there's a road, we can go there. It feels very different from getting on the bus and lurching back to find an open seat.

As a kid, I rode my bicycle everywhere. I loved the independence of having my own wheels. I could go faster, farther, as long as my legs held out. When I got my driver's license, I realized I could drive anywhere the map could show me--and some places it couldn't--as long as I could afford the gas. And the car payment. And the insurance. And the registration. And the oil changes.

There's an old VW slogan: "On the road of life, there are passengers and there are drivers. Drivers wanted." I remembered that recently and felt an "ouch." But then I thought about it again.

Maybe I don't like some of the limitations, but I am driving on the road of my life. I am not a passenger. I take full responsibility for deciding to walk and take public transportation everywhere.

But I do still think about maybe someday having a bicycle again--if I could figure out where to put it--and I still smile fondly at the thought of a good, long road trip in a car.

Just not right now. Not just yet. My choice. I can choose differently later. That key is in my hand.


1 comment:

  1. I miss not being able to hop in and go places. Taipei is highly populated with both vehicles and people. Traffic rules are occasionally observed. To get to less populated areas, it does require one to drive through horrific traffic first. At this point, I don't see myself enjoying driving that in town bit. Mark and I continue to observe and evaluate our needs vs. wants, and above all, quality of life. - Ping

    ReplyDelete