Sunday, August 3, 2014

Whattheheckisgoingon and Whotheheckarewe?

Ping and I have been at this for three years now. We've gone from Corporate America to Beitou, Taiwan. We've spent a lot of these three years trying to figure out what's up. This week was a rough one. We both floundered, pretty painfully. It's amazing how dark the world can seem when we lose our bearings. But here's the point:
We're still working on getting “what we do” to be closer to “who we are.”
It’s an experiment--a bet, maybe--that we can do something authentic, something that uses everything we have, that opens up all the possibilities, and that somehow serves the world in a valuable, sustainable way.
Have we got it? Not yet. Well, part of it, yes, sometimes. Some days, not at all. We have more questions than answers. Sometimes I wonder: who needs more pretty paintings, more songs, another 
epic novel, or more poetry, jokes, stories, and sketches? So I do all this. So what? Who needs it?
The fact is: I DON'T KNOW. I don't. Really.
And the other fact is: it may not be mine to know at this time. I will never know the full impact of what I do. What helped me turn the corner was when it dawned on me that it's actually not required.
What is required of me is to live my life authentically, with all its dead ends, bumps and goof-ups, mistakes and mysteries.
Ergo, this blog.
It’s about ups, downs, ins, outs. It’s about making sense of this drive I have to create stuff, explore, ponder, and create some more. Or not make sense of it. Probably more often, it will be “not.” But I’ll try. I'll continue to explore, get inspired, create, scratch my head and try it again.
That's why we call this "Let's Go Take A Look." We don't know what's around the corner, but we know that interesting stuff happens when we check it out.
I’ll keep you posted. –Mark

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to those of you who have commented via email and Facebook. We appreciate your thoughts on this!

    ReplyDelete