Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Italy 2013 Challenge- Day 9: "Piazzale Michelangelo"

"Piazzale Michelangelo"
- soft pastel on paper
- approx. 11.7x16.4"/30x42cm

Ping and I had hoped to get up to the Piazzale Michelangelo during some "free time" on this trip, but it turned out we didn't have time to make it up there on our own. From our seat near the front of the bus, we heard our driver, Vincenzo, ask our guide if she wanted him to take us all on an extra side jaunt. Imagine our delight when we got to go up there after all!



It had been raining off and on, and the March wind blew brisk and cold, shuffling the clouds around in the early dusk. I couldn't have asked for a better backdrop for this statue of Michelangelo's "David." Ping and I both snapped a lot of pictures. She captured this view which I used for reference.

I have to admit, the idea gave me pause: "Ok, you're painting Michelangelo here, Mark. It's 'David!'" Still, the image was compelling, so I marked the reference photo with a 2cm grid and laid out the image on the A3-size paper. Once the drawing was done, the fun really began and it went surprisingly fast. I very much enjoyed this painting.

I have a feeling Michelangelo did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment