Friday, January 31, 2014

Finally! #30 of 30 paintings in 30 days: "Conversation With The Sages"

"Conversation With the Sages" - Smith Rock, OR, USA
- Oil Pastel on Paper, approx. 8.2x7.4"/ 207x184mm

When we lived in Portland, OR, we would often take the 4.5 hour drive to Bend. One of our favorite stops along the way was Smith Rock State Park. On this particular occasion, we worked our way to the edge of the crumbling basalt cliff that lined the less traveled side of the Crooked River, near the bivouac area. This was one of the views through the sage and junipers as we walked quietly, our boots leaving no trace of our passage across the moss and grass covered rocks. I figured that since I started the "30 paintings in 30 days" challenge with oil pastels, I'd finish with one, too--sort of coming full circle, I guess. This was done on gray Canson MiTeintes paper. I've learned that a neutral tone in a mid-range value seems to work best for me when doing oil pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment