Monday, January 20, 2014

#19 of 30 - "Keyes Point Sunset II"

"Keyes Point Sunset II" - California, USA
- Acrylic on Canvas, approx. 12.5x16"/315x410mm

When we lived in California, we took advantage of our proximity to several national parks. This was the sunset on the first day we spent at Joshua Tree. The ranger had highly recommended Keyes Point for the sunset. We were so glad we went! I feel the stillness every time I look at these images.

This particular painting was a real challenge in acrylic, at least at this stage
of my learning curve! I wrestled it through the first session, thinking it was finished several times, only to have to "fix" something and then bring everything else up to the same level. It got tight, then loose, then tight again. I quit for the night, did a small, very loose pastel, posted it and went to bed. At least I got one out on that day! Today, I went back to the easel and tried again. I signed it, took it into another room, stared at it, took it back into the easel and redid several sections of the foreground and midground. Frankly, I think I painted this entire canvas probably three or four times to get what you see here. Ah! Yes. Now it's done. (Well...you know...that little bit there could be just a bit...nah. Never mind.)

No comments:

Post a Comment