Wednesday, October 24, 2012

One Size

In Asia, the phrase "One Size Fits All" means something a little different than it does in the U.S. In much of the world, the phrase has been shortened to two words: "One Size." This seems to be more accurate. But what is "size" really all about?

Ping has this remarkable ability to wear sizes that don't seem to apply to her and make it look like that's exactly how the designer intended the outfit to look. When she buys sweatshirts, she gets XL because she likes them loose. When she buys tops, they're generally XS.

I think the best example was a Nike Jordan knit vest that she wore with a black top and leggings. Add a cool belt and it became uniquely fashionable. I mentioned this to a fellow Nike employee who said: "I didn't know Jordan had a women's line."

"They don't," I confirmed. "It was a Men's Size Large."

Just like Yin needs Yang, the opposite also holds. I can wear something and make it look ill-fitting, regardless of size. To be fair, though: much of what we find in Asia doesn't fit me anyway.

Check out these hotel slippers, for example. As we often say: "One Size Fits Ping."

No comments:

Post a Comment