Sunday, May 19, 2013

Italy 2013 Challenge- Day 13 "Amalfi Cliffs"

"Amalfi Cliffs"
- acrylic on canvas
- approx. 6.9x10"/175x255mm


The mountains surrounding the Amalfi Coast of Italy are famously rugged. Steep cliffs of exposed rock are all around you as you walk through the little towns. I've done more city and town images during this Italy 2013 challenge, so it was nice to do one of my favorite subjects again! Even at this small size, the immensity of the place comes through. Lucky us: we had a perfect day there!

This was my first attempt at acrylics after years of using colored pencil, alkyd, and then pastels. I was curious to see if I could handle the drying speed. I have gotten to the point where I can, and it turns out that acrylic on canvas just might be perfect for Taiwan which has a lot of humidity. I was quite happy to get the light I was hoping for in this painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment