Thursday, November 22, 2012

"If You'll Just Let It Happen"

One of the artists with whom I [Mark] have periodic contact is Casey Klahn, a pastel artist and teacher in Washington State. His blog, The Colorist, has a wealth of evocative art, the result of years of study and practice, breaking things down to their simplest parts and communicating them in color. My style usually has a lot more detail, and I seem particularly happy when I'm working on large pieces, but I've learned a lot from studying what Casey does.

Here's a recent exchange about authenticity which we had on Facebook (quoted with Casey's permission) after he posted this picture he called "Draw Uphill."
__

Mark: This is one of those things where someone says "Oh, I can do THAT," but then can't. We'll keep learning, though.

Casey Klahn: I have a pastel that my (then 8 or 9 Y.O.) son did that I cannot do. It is incredible what authenticity can accomplish if you'll just let it happen. I used to think that describing art as childlike was baloney - now I understand.

Mark: I particularly like your statement "It is incredible what authenticity can accomplish if you'll just let it happen." Right on, Casey. Well put. I think you got all the elements in one simple sentence. If we'll ease off and allow who we really are to come through, we can watch with amazement as our own authentic selves accomplish what we may not have believed was possible.
__

Something to think about. What happens when you are your authentic self and just let things happen?

1 comment: