Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Every Morning Is A Wake-up Call

I've experienced a few watershed events. Sometimes, it's a physical experience, perhaps an emergency that reminds me of my mortality. Other times, it's a significant change in circumstances, like getting laid off or coming to the end of a relationship.

As I think back, I recognize these experiences as "Wake-up Calls." My current path comes into clearer focus, and the effects of my choices become more obvious. As I deepen my commitment to my values, I find the courage to either change direction or forge forward with renewed strength.

Recently, Ping and I have been reading (well, she reads it first, recommends the book, then I read it) books about such watershed stories, relating how the author or the character turned his life around to focus on what was important and leave useless habits behind.

I was in the middle of reading a conversation between a man with inoperable cancer and his doctor, when the obvious occurred to me: I don't need to be dying, wounded or facing homelessness.

When I wake up every morning, that's a wake-up call. What will I do with this day?

I don't need the permission (or the insistence) of some catastrophe in order to live my life, to use this day to its fullest.

I woke up.

That's "wake-up" call enough.

Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment