Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Now I Can Be Sticky For Hours

It's all about what one can get used to.

We've been in Taiwan almost three years now, and we're going through the hottest part of the summer. This is what it looks like from the Central Weather Bureau's site:
25 ~ 35 partly cloudy with occasional afternoon thundershowers COMFORTABLE~EXTREMEL

They don't have room for the "LY HOT AND MUGGY" bit. So, as the temps get more "extreml," we strip down more and more, but there's a limit to how much you can take off and still greet people at the front door. What about after you hit that limit?


The first summer we were here, I would shower at night before going to bed. I'd shower again in the morning. I'd probably shower at some point during the day...but it just seemed like we were using a lot of water, and, besides, it's inconvenient. So I learned to skip a shower. Or two.

Why? I just got used to having that clammy feeling all over. I got used to detaching my shirt from my back every time I stood up. I even got used to not wearing a shirt at all most of the day.

Ping says we've turned into Sticky Man! and Sticky Woman! (TM for Pat. Pend.) The new superheroes are here! ("Never fear! Sticky Man is here!  ...wait. I--... I'm stuck. Drat. I'm always here.")

I think there's a country song in this.

My hands are all clammy
And so is my hair.
And when I stand up
My pants cling to me there.
I used to be dry;
Now I have super powers
And I can be sticky for hours.

...I'm sure it will make a splatt on the charts at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment